Jump Straight to Your Topic
- Best Fishing Reels at a Glance, Our Top Picks
- Best Fishing Reel Reviews:
- Best Fishing Reels for Pro’s and Tournament Fishermen
- Best Fishing Reels Conclusion
Finding the Best Fishing Reels for the type of fishing you want to do, starts right here. We have done all of the legwork for you.
Whether you are a Tournament Fisherman or just a person who loves to relax by the water and watch the bobber on your line, It’s important to know that the fishing reel you are using is Not going be the reason that big one got away.
The number of fishing reels on the market is overwhelming. There are different types of reels, made by different companies, resulting of 1000’s of reels to choose from.
Our team spent hours upon hours researching reviews from both amateur and professional fisherman alike. The following list is of what reels are hot for 2019. We did the work so you don’t have to.
Best Fishing Reels at a Glance, Our Top Picks
Best Fishing Reels for the Budget :
All of these reels are Extremely Affordable
Best Value Fishing Reels: For the more Advanced and Tournament Fisherman.
Best Fishing Reel Reviews:
Below, you will find our reviews of all of the fishing reels mentioned above. All of us here at Hunters Pulse are avid hunters and fishermen. We love to be outdoors and really enjoy our hobbies and interests. We would Not recommend any of these products if we didn’t truly believe in them.
Spincasting reels are the best reels for the beginner. These closed faced reels are designed to solve some of the main frustrations a new angler can have like backlash, line twist, and snare issues.
The quality and number of features make the Pflueger President our top choice for Spincasting Reels for the budget minded angler just getting started.
- Three different models
- Gear ratios of 3:4:1, 3:1:1, 3:8:1 (varies by reel size)
- Corrosion resistant stainless steel 5 ball bearing system
- Aluminum front cone design/body frame
- Instant anti-reverse
- Twin Titanium pin
The practical price tag and quality of the Pflueger President makes this a good choice for an entry level fishing reel. This reel has three different sizes that all weigh under a pound.
The gear ratio on the three models varies slightly. The PRES6USCX has a gear ratio of 3.4:1. Most importantly, this slower ratio gets the job done. The PRES6SCX supports a gear ratio of 3.1:1. The largest model, the PRES10SCX, has a gear ratio of 3.8:1.
The solid built 5 ball corrosion resistant bearing system results in extremely smooth casting and retrieving.
The high-quality machined aluminum cone maximizes durability and precise gear alignment
Premium dual titanium pins result in a better lifespan of your line and excellent reel performance.
- Quality built (made to last)
- Smooth casting and retrieving
- Easy to use for the beginner fisherman
- Can be used for fresh or saltwater fishing
- Needs extra maintenance for saltwater use
The Pflueger President Spincast Reel is a quality reel that performs great. Moreover, It is an excellent choice for the beginner fisherman, young or old, who want to get started in the sport of fishing but does not have a huge budget.
They are ideal for light line and live bait fishing. Different size spinning reels are used for both fresh and saltwater fishing.
Spinning reels are fast becoming the reel of choice for most fisherman. These open-faced reels are slightly harder to use than the Spincasting
The versatility, quality, and value make the KastKing Summer and Centron our top choice for spinning reels in the Best for the Budget category.
- 10 different reel sizes
- Drag system for up to 17 pounds
- 9 + 1 ball bearing system
- Anti-reverse system
- Interchangeable left to right-hand handle
- Graphite frame
- CNC machined spool for even layout of line and more line capacity
Don’t be fooled by the low price on the
This reel has a powerful drag which is assisted by a 9 + 1 ball bearing system. The drag will allow for catching a fish up to 17 pounds with ease. This makes it an excellent choice for freshwater fishing for trout, bass, walleye, etc.
The anti-reverse feature makes the reel smoother and easier to work. The interchangeable handle is easy to adjust from left to right hand making this a good reel to have on hand for your yourself or any friends that might come along for the trip.
- Good price for all the features
- Lightweight corrosion resistant graphite frame
- Good for anglers of all skill levels
- Interchangeable handle for left-handed or right-handed anglers
- Powerful drag
- Smooth action on casting and retrieving
- 10 different sizes
- Requires maintenance to avoid freezing
3: The Best BaitCasting Reel for the Budget:
Baitcasting Reels are used for heavier lines and heavier lures. A bass fisherman using a spinnerbait or a crankbait will want to use a bait casting reel over a spinning reel.
These baitcasting reels take some learning to cast correctly to avoid backlash and bird’s nest in the line.
Once again KastKing proves to be the brand to choose for value and quality in reels under $50 with the KastKing Royale Legend Whitemax Low profile reels.
- 11 + 1 MaxiDur corrosion-resistant ball bearing system
- A gear ratio of 7.0:1
- Four-disc carbon fiber drag system
- 10-level dual brake system
- Left-handed or right-handed reels are available
- 2 different gear sizes available at 7.0:1 and 5.3:1
- Lightweight of 7.2 ounces
- Line capacity of 10/195, 12/165, 14/125
The KastKing Royale Legend low profile reel has reliable smooth performance provided by 11+1 MaxiDur corrosion resistant ball bearings.
More power is provided with a low gear ratio of 7.0:1 for more torque and cranking performance
Casting control is provided with an easy to adjust centrifugal brake and a seven- magnet magnetic brake system.
- Excellent value for all the features
- EVA foam soft grip handle is easy to grip in wet conditions
- Lightweight design
- Extra maintenance will be need if used for saltwater fishing
- The smaller reel with the gear ratio of 5.3:1 only comes left-handed
The power, durability and low cost of the KastKing Royale Legend low profile reel makes it an excellent choice for fishermen that want a baitcasting reel without spending a small fortune. They will fit the needs of any freshwater fisherman while still being able to handle small saltwater breeds of fish. If used for saltwater they will require some extra tender love and care. The KastKing Royale Legend is an excellent value for the money.
4: Best Trolling Reel for the Budget:
Trolling reels are similar to baitcasting reels. They are designed for offshore saltwater trolling, and also work great for large catfish or big lake fishing. Imagine a baitcasting reel on steroids.
The durability and variety of features on the Okuma Fishing Tackle Classic Level Wind Star make it our first choice for trolling reels under $50.
A Quick Look at the Features:
- Three different sizes
- Durable lightweight corrosion-resistant construction
- Machine cut brass and stainless-steel gears
- Level wind line guide
- 1-year warranty
- T-style knobs on a powerful handle
- Multi-disc Rulidium drag system
The strong durable build of this reel is corrosion resistant and made for saltwater fishing. The machine cut brass and stainless-steel gears require routine maintenance. However, daily maintenance is not necessary. As a result, You can come home from your fishing trip and concentrate on cleaning fish, not equipment.
The level wind line guide system aids you in guiding the line where you want it to go, and the self-lubricating gear system keeps the reel performing smoothly.
- Three different sizes
- Bush bearing
- Solid and durable build
- Stainless steel level wind line guide system
- Lightweight graphite frame
- Great choice for both freshwater and saltwater fishing
- none, We couldn’t really find any
If you are fishing for larger freshwater fish or are trolling offshore the Okuma Fishing Tackle Classic Level Wind Star reel is a good value. Above all, the durability and corrosion resistant build that is backed by a 1-year warranty makes this an excellent choice for both fresh and saltwater fisherman.
Best Fishing Reels for Pro’s and Tournament Fishermen
1: Best Value SPINCASTING REEL:
Zebco is the inventor of the spin cast reel. Once again, they prove their expertise with this lightweight and reliable reel. Young and old fisherman alike will enjoy the smooth easy casting of the Zebco Omega 3 Sz Spincast Reels.
The die-cast aluminum body
with aircraft aluminum covers makes this a durable and lightweight
Strength and power are provided with a 6 stainless steel bearing system and all-brass worm gear drive.
The continuous anti-reverse and triple-cam multi-disc drag will aid you in getting that catch of a lifetime to the shore.
This reel comes pre-spooled with 85 yards of 10-pound line and a quick-change spool system.
• Die-cast aluminum body
• Aircraft aluminum covers
• 6 stainless steel bearing system
• Powerful all-brass worm gear drive
• Continuous Anti-Reverse
• Triple-cam multi-disc drag
• Quick-change spool system
• Pre-spooled with 85 yards of 10-lb.
- Primarily a freshwater reel. If used for saltwater will require extra cleaning and maintenance.
The Zebco Omega 3 Sz Spincast Reel has a premium build with quality features. Zebco has proven they are the ultimate brand for spin casting reels at a good value.
2: Best Value SPINNING REEL
If you are looking for a spinning reel that will work fishing from the surf and from a boat the Penn Battle II Spinning Reel is an excellent choice.
The variety of sizes available in this reel will help you find that perfect reel for your fishing needs, whether you are battling the fish species found in the wild blue yonder or fishing for the larger freshwater species.
This reel is engineered to catch fish season after season with the full metal body, and rotor to the 5 sealed stainless-steel ball bearing system.
Power and longevity are provided by the reel’s HT-100 Versa-Drag carbon fiber drag system. Both sides of the drag washers are leveraged to provide maximum drag. The washers are treated with a proprietary grease for long-lasting performance
You can reel without interruption due to the instant anti-reverse bearing system.
The capacity rings on the spool display how much line is remaining. The rubber gasket on the spool makes it possible to use braided line without monofilament backing. Thus, making it suitable to use with Spiderwire Superline.
- 6 sizes available
- Designed for saltwater fishing while still useable for freshwater fishing
- Full-metal body, side plate, and rotor
- Heavy-duty aluminum bail wire
- 5 sealed stainless-steel ball bearing system
- the gear ratio is 6.2:1
- HT-100 Versa-Drag carbon fiber drag system
- Superline spool
- Multiple sizes for saltwater and freshwater fishing
- Built to last
- High-quality, smooth drag made of carbon fiber
- HT-100 drag system increases the max drag by 20%
- 5 sealed stainless-steel ball bearings are corrosion resistant and excellent for saltwater fishing
- The larger sizes can be heavy
- More lubrication is required over time
Penn shows their expertise in spinning reels in the Penn Battle II. This is an affordable reel designed for the serious fisherman, who demands quality and longevity in their equipment. Although it is designed for surf fishing, it is also excellent for larger freshwater species. If you are in need of a powerful all-around reel for both fresh and saltwater species, this is the reel to be thinking about.
3: Best Value BAITCASTING REEL :
Lew’s has been making quality fishing equipment since 1949. The Lew’s Fishing Mach Speed Spool MCS Casting Reel is at the top of its class, representing years of fine-tuned craftsmanship.
By using cutting-edge engineering, styling, and performance Lew’s has set a new standard in compact reels. Lew’s Super Low-Profile results in a 10% reduction in reel size.
The 10-bearing stainless steel bearing system along with the zero-reverse clutch bearing makes retrieval smooth and easy.
In order to combat backlash, your Speed Spool reel is equipped with an externally adjustable, full-release magnetic braking system
- Lightweight and strong
- Super low profile
- 10-bearing system
- Lots of power provided by high strength solid brass main gear and crankshaft
The Lew’s Fishing Mach Speed Spool MCS Casting Reel is the lowest profile casting reel on the market. It uses cutting edge Tech, and engineering to fill up this small space with durability and power that will get the job done. The top of the line features included in this reel make it our top choice for baitcasting reels for the Advanced Fisherman.
4: Best Value TROLLING REEL for Pro’s and Advanced Fishermen
The comfort, Along with the quality materials, and power built into the Okuma Cold Water Line Counter Reel make it our top choice for Trolling Reel for under $200. Known for staying on top of the latest technology and applying it to their products Okuma has been making fishing reels since 1986.
The Cold Water is made up of the finest aluminum and titanium for a corrosion resistant frame. Okuma’s Mechanical Stabilizing System holds the internal components solid to provide extreme durability and long-term alignment of the gears and shaft. The gears are self-lubricating.
The Cold Water has a powerful full carbonite drag system, built of heavy-duty machine cut brass pinion gears, dual anti-reverse system. With this drag system, fish from salmon to Muskie will be no problem.
Left-handed anglers will be happy to know that this reel comes both right-handed and left-handed. The handle has a non-slip rubber grasp, making it easy to keep a hold of in wet conditions.
- 4 sizes available for left or right handed
- Lightweight corrosion resistant side-plates and frame
- Multi-Disc carbonite drag system
- 2BB+1RB stainless steel bearings
- Self-lubricating gearing system
- Speed lock pinion gear system
- Ratcheting star drag for precision
- 1-year limited warranty
- Corrosion resistant frame
- Mechanical stabilizing system
- Powerful drag system with an anti-reverse system
- One-year warranty
- The clicker can be loud but lubrication will help with this
If you are looking for a versatile fishing reel that will work for Salmon to Muskie the Okuma Cold Water Line Counter is an excellent choice. Made up of durable materials and engineered for strength and power this reel will last for years to come.
Best Fishing Reels Conclusion
In our article “Different Types of Fishing Reels” we discuss what components to look for in each of the different types of reels.
Before you venture out into the big world of fishing reels, we strongly suggest you get familiar with all the different components.
This will assist you in making the correct choice in the type and size of reel you will need for your fishing experience. In the meantime, if you have any questions, suggestion or things you want us to research leave us a note on the contact us page.
Thank You for spending your time with us here at Hunters Pulse. We sincerely hope that you found the information here extremely useful. Please come back soon.